We understand the importance of protecting the privacy and security of your personal information and undertake to safeguard all personal data that we collect. Breathing Matters is a UCLH Charity Fund [charity number 1165398].
This policy is written in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation Act 2018. It will describe how Breathing Matters and UCLH Charity uses personal information given by people. If you have any queries or concerns that are not covered below in regards to how Breathing Matters uses your information contact Donna Basire at email@example.com
This policy includes:
- What personal information we collect
- How we collect your information
- How we use your information
- How we share your information
- How we keep your data safe and who has access to it
- Accessing and updating of your information
- Changes to this policy
1. What personal information we collect
The personal information we collect will depend on why you are engaging with us. It can include information such as your name, date of birth, gender, email address, postal address, telephone number and financial information needed to process donations or event fees. We may also ask you if you are a UK tax payer so that we can claim Gift Aid.
We may ask if you or your family member have been a patient and whether there is a particular area of the hospital you are interested in. This is to ensure our communications meet your requirements.
2. How we collect your personal information
We use third parties to collect data on our behalf to support our activities and events. This might include running raffles, event registrations and processing your donations, and ensuring our records are as up to date as possible through running address and detail verification checks. This will include sites such as Eventbrite and Brown Paper Tickets.
Depending on your settings or the privacy policies for other online services like Facebook or Twitter, you might give us permission to access information from those accounts or services. The information we get from those online services depends on your personal settings, and therefore it is recommended that you check them regularly.
We may research information in the public domain on local organisations, companies and schools to find contact details to get in touch about our latest activities and appeals.
If you have contacted us with a donation, we may contact you to keep you up-to-date about our activities, appeals and what’s happening at Breathing Matters.
We will never share your information outside of UCLH Charity.
3. How we use your information
Your information may be used for a number of purposes including the following:
- To provide you with information that you have requested
- To help you with creating an online donation account
- To claim Gift Aid on your donation from HMRC
- To process entries into a prize draw or raffle
- To use IP addresses to identify your approximate location, to block disruptive use, to record website traffic or to personalise the way our information is presented to you
- To gain better understanding of our supporters and provide you with relevant information about our work and how you can help us, for example, information about our fundraising activities, volunteering and campaigns
- To detect and reduce fraud and credit risk
- To send out seasonal wishes and messages
- To send out promotional material or information for events that you are or have been involved in
- To thank you for your support
- To ensure statutory and regulatory compliance
- To use for other purposes – but we will notify you about this and obtain your consent
If you do not wish your data to be used in any of the listed ways, please let Donna Basire know at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. How we share your information
We may exchange your information with other organisations for the purposes of fraud and credit risk reduction. We will be obligated to share your information if we are legally required to do so.
We will not sell your details to any third parties. We will only share your data to other parties if we have your expressed consent.
We use rigorous procedures and strict security features when we collect your personal information in order to prevent unauthorised access. However, as no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk.
5. How we keep your data safe and who has access
We have appropriate technical controls in place to protect your personal data.
Our fundraising platform uses a secure server when you enter into any financial transaction. Reviews are carried out to establish who has access to information that we hold and to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained and authorised personnel.
We will keep your data for as long as only necessary for the smooth running of our services. We will take into consideration our legal obligations and tax and accounting rules when determining how long we should retain your information.
When we no longer need to retain your information we will ensure it is securely disposed of, at the appropriate time. We ensure appropriate technical controls are in place to safeguard your personal details.
The Breathing Matters and UCLH Charity website may include links to other sites, not owned or managed by us. We cannot be held responsible for the privacy of information collected by websites not managed by us.
Cookies are small files which are stored on a user’s device. They are designed to hold a modest amount of data specific to a user and a website, and can be accessed either by the website or the user’s device. Cookies are created to improve your experience of a website – for example they are needed for online shopping cart systems or for remembering you are logged into a site.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and in turn improve our website by tailoring it to our customer’s needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and the data contains no personal identifiable information.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Aged 16 or under
If you are aged 16 or under, you must get your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information on our website.
6. Accessing and updating your personal information
The accuracy of your information is important to us. Please let us know of any changes by emailing Donna Basire at email@example.com. If you wish to access the information we hold about you, please send a description of the information you want and it may be necessary to send proof of your identity.
You have the right to:
- Request a copy of the information we hold about you
- Update or amend the information we hold about you if it is wrong
- Change your communication preferences at any time
- Ask us to remove your personal information from our records
- Raise an objection about the way in which your information is being used
7. Changes to this policy
We may change this policy from time to time, if we were to make significant changes to the policy, we will highlight this clearly in our website or we may contact you directly.
Last updated: April 2018
UCLH Charity is registered with Fundraising Regulator.