Stark Facts about Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Without treatment, 50% of Pulmonary Fibrosis [PF] patients will die within 3 years of diagnosis. Treatment extends life expectancy to 7-8 years.
- Men are nearly twice as likely as women to suffer from PF.
- There are 8000 new cases of PF every year in the UK.
- 33,000 people are living with PF in the UK.
- More than 30,000 people will be diagnosed with PF in the 27 EU countries each year.
- PF is more common than all leukaemias combined.
- 3-20% of people with PF have another family member with PF.
- Most patients can be diagnosed from 1 to 12 years after their first symptoms.
- Pulmonary fibrosis costs the NHS £88 million per year.
- 5 million people worldwide have PF.
- 1 in 3 PF patients are expected to die within the next 12 months.
- There are 5,000 PF deaths per year.
- 9,000 admissions and 86,000 hospital bed days accounted for by IPF patients per year.
HAVE A LOOK AT OUR PULMONARY FIBROSIS WISH LIST
PLEASE HELP US CHANGE THESE STATISTICS